Privacy Policy

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sum It Up Sunday-Fasting and Denial

There is no perfect way to eat for everyone. Our DNA makes every one of us unique. What works for one person may not work for another, even if they are related. DNA is amazing like that.


I have hazel eyes, my older sister has blue eyes. DNA. I'm 5'5, she's maybe 5'2. I won't even get into the weight discrepancy (let's just say that at the age of eleven I realized how much bigger than her I was and that was the end of her older sister supremacy?.



What I am saying is that what we eat for optimal health differs from person to person and will even differ for a person as they age. Not only is our DNA a big part of this, but so is how our needs change the older we get due to our evolutionary characteristics. From here on we're going to talk about the females of the species, as I am one and know some of what I speak.

When menopause hit I railed against it and for a time, denied that is was affecting me. What the hell was evolution trying to tell us women? When we get to a certain age we are useless? Here is a bunch of weight you don't need, depression, insomnia, and many other things. And even here it won't give the same shitty experience to each woman. They are all different symptoms. My mother barely had heat flashes. I got one while running. I mean come on!!!

Anywhooo, I decided that the usual wasn't going to work.

There was some enlightenment from this article in the Atlantic that show how humans and killer whales both go through menopause because of the "family pod". The older females are no longer reproducing so that they can stop competing and instead cooperate in helping the younger generations find food.







That just blew my mind. I don't have children. Mother's day has been very hard for me for years (doubly so these last two since losing our mother). The Atlantic article gave me some insight that I wasn't seeing before. I strive to be a positive female presence for my nephews, nieces, cousins, and the hundreds of children I have known in my fifty years.

Perhaps this podcast and blog are also a way for me to co-operate and show others food sources they might not already know about (I see you old orca ladies!).

The way I eat has changed many times over. I was an omnivore. Stopped eating red meat for a time. Went vegetarian, then hard on vegan, now mostly vegan. And now, in order to combat the menopausal disruption of my life, I am trying intermittent fasting.

Again, how I eat isn't for everyone. Find what works for you. I eat breakfast between 8 and 9am, an inventive and filling lunch (check out my Instagram as I post almost daily what I'm eating) then some snacks in the afternoon. I am usually finished eating around 4 or 5.

This seems to be working. It is hard to stick to this regimen when I am with family and friends as sharing food together is my thing. That is where instead of beating myself up, I factor in the social benefit for my mental health.

I'd love to hear what you have found that works for you. And how your eating has changed through the years. Comment here, on Facebook or email me at clarkesfoodpod@gmail.com and we'll commiserate and cheer one another on.

You know, like the ancient orca ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment