Privacy Policy

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sum It Up Sunday-What a Fake!

Second only to the "But where do you get your protein?" question for those who eat a vegan diet is the "If you don't eat meat why would you want a non-meat burger or non-cheese cheese?" To answer that we have to look at what kind of vegan they are.


Some vegans don't want to even think of meat or cheese and are vegan because they don't want animals to suffer. Others are against animal suffering but miss having a burger or mac and cheese.
Personally, I am all for sustainable and humane animal practices. I eat a "mostly vegan" diet for health, in order to control my cholesterol without drugs. The reason my cholesterol was high to begin with is that I adore cheese and meat. Finding vegan food that mimics some of my favorites without the fat and cholesterol lets me indulge. Most omnivores don't eat sausage or burgers every single day and neither do I.

Here are a few of my favorites (I couldn't find in my pictures, any of Miyoko's cheese anywhere, but trust me, they are on the list. Probably no pic as I eat their cheese too fast!)


The Field Roast Italian Sausage is my go-to for many of my pasta and sauce dishes. It's made with eggplant and lot's of fennel and they texture, although not exactly meat sausage like, is pretty darn close.


Beyond Meat has done an amazing job with their Beast Burger and Beyond Burger. I'll grab some to take to cookouts with family and friends, and as I will forever be a cheeseburger fan, the Daiya melts and replicates an American cheese slice just the way I want it to.


Kite Hill is killing it with many of their cheeses, and bagel time is the right time for the chive cream cheese.



After interviewing sister and brother Aubry and Kale Walch from The Herbivorous Butcher for the podcast, I hopped right onto the interwebs and ordered a bunch to try. Oh, you don't even know...


But I do...I now know that I can make my favorite sandwich, a Reuben, with their Meat-Free Pastrami. A grilled cheese with their Cheese-Free Mozz and their Meat-Free Capicola will happen. And that Cheese-Free Smoked Gouda? With an apple as a snack, in a grilled cheese, mixed in with some mashed potatoes, I will indulge people!

My main go to's for protein, besides the fruits, vegetables, and grains I eat that have protein in them, are tempeh, tofu skin, beans, nuts, and seeds. The possibilities are endless, and now, thanks to the folks "faking it" even more so.


No comments:

Post a Comment