Privacy Policy

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Sum It Up Sunday-A List of 7 Foods I'm Serious About...Seriously...

It was a table in the produce department of a grocery store in Vancouver, WA that brought a very sobering thought home to me: I will never be able to eat/try all the food I want to. Just looking at that table covered with 7 or more different apples was mind-boggling. An apple a day was a way for me to try many types, but I just couldn't imagine being able to taste all the apple varieties there are in the world.

That is when I decided that exploring and finding new and interesting foods to try, make and share was an achievable goal. And to truly celebrate the ones I do love. Here is a list of just 7 of them. Why 7? Why the hell not?


Pho/Ramen-
The two are like cousins, with many similar traits, broth, and noodles. But also very different. And that's what I love about them.

The base for pho is a strong beef broth with aromatic star anise, ginger, and cinnamon. Not at all vegan. I've searched high and low for the veg broth that will replicate the true heady warm soup experience.  Usually, I settle, when I go with friends and the pho place for a spicy veg soup or veg noodle bowl. The quest continues.



Spicy Vegetable Noodle Soup from Golden Bowl in Broomfield, CO


Vegetable and Tofu Noodle Bowl from Pho Dhuy, Broomfield CO
Those crackers though...

I've a great friend with whom I have talked about going with on an epic Ramen hunt. That there are now vegan varieties around, makes this hunt so damm easy. The best ramen I've ever had was in Vancouver BC (I'm sensing a Vancouver theme) at a small place called Kintaro on Denman. And the best vegan was at Ramen Hood in LA. (Got off the Vancouver train I see). Were they exactly the same? Hell no, but you won't find ramen in Tokyo to be the same as in Kyoto, so I'm still going to love on it.

Kintaro you do it right, for the omnivores.


Oh, Ramen Hood, I will forever believe in this broth. And that vegan "egg"? Transcendent!

Cauliflower-
This versatile brassica has become the It vegetable, veg of the moment, hasn't it? Riced, cut into steaks, turned into Buffalo "Wings" for the game that rhymes with duper mole, it's everywhere. I've used and eaten it in every way you can think of. It's mild flavor and texture allow it to mimic and stand out. The taco's I had at a little place in NYC was a memorable incarnation.


I can't find this place on a map and have forgotten its name, but those tacos? Forever flavorfully seared on my memory.


My what a big cauliflower you have!

Sandwiches-
Perhaps this is because of my love of bread and toast in particular, but I adore sandwiches. They are convenient to eat anywhere, a park in San Francisco, an alley in Mumbai... you see? Anywhere.


A Tempeh Reuben, which is a must order if they have it on the menu.


The ABC at Beet Box Bakery in Denver. The stuff dreams are made of.


From an alleyway in Mumbai, filled with potatoes, tomatoes, and chutney. Wow...


The Pilgrim from Ikes in San Francisco. The cranberries make that sandwich.

Kumpir-
Students on the streets of Istanbul eat this cheap, very very filling uber stuffed, football-sized, potato dish because it's cheap. I eat them because they take numerous disparate ingredients and smush them all inside a roasted potato to make something magical. Food magic at it's very finest!


The recipe for this little number will be in my cookbook, stay tuned.
Ful medames
Breakfast in the middle east is where you'll usually see this fava or similar bean dish. I have eaten it at lunch and dinner here in the states. And it's been different everywhere I find it. If you see it on the menu, order it, break off some pieces of warm pita bread and dive in. There is no other bean dish to me, that is as comforting and delicious.


There it is, to the left of the baba ghanoush, from Mecca Grill in Denver.


Find the ful at the top of this pic, from Ali Baba Grill in Boulder. 
And that is toum, a raw garlic sauce on the bottom. It deserves it's very own blog post.

Beets
My sister Katie hates them. And that is her DNA talking. It tells her they taste like dirt. My DNA says "Eat them anytime you see them", so I do. Roasted, pickled, raw in salads, sliced in sandwiches and on ad infinitum.


Heirloom Tomatoes
Depending on where you live and the growing season there, heirloom tomatoes may only show up for a few weeks. Take advantage, I urge you. I'll eat them in a tomato sandwich for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Maybe even second breakfast and elevensies. The yellow variety is my favorite, but the different varieties to be found is astounding. And no, they don't just taste like a tomato. They taste like summer, gardens, the earth, and heaven.


Is this list complete? Hell no. But it's a start. Let me know if you've had any of these dishes, your favorite sandwich, and what your favorite variety of heirloom tomato is.

No comments:

Post a Comment