Privacy Policy

Monday, February 23, 2015

Meatless Monday-What's the Tempeh?



Tofu get's the soy spotlight, but Tempeh has a solid nutritional basis that deserves consideration. It's higher in calories that tofu, 320 per 1 cup, but easier to digest as it's fermented. And the fermentation get's those gut friendly probiotics going for you as well. Did I mention a cup also has 31 grams of protein and 25% or your RDA of Iron? I'm a big fan.



Plus it's easy to cook up and soaks up the flavors of whatever you're cooking it in. Roasting is my preferred method after a quick marinade of whatever strikes me at the time. It is edible without being cooked, but the roasting adheres the seasonings to the tempeh. Today it was olive oil, garlic, shwarma spice blend, a touch of tahini and a splash of sherry vinegar. Season with a little salt and pepper and into a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes, turning half way through. (I used my toaster oven as it's the workhorse of this ol'spinsters kitchen.)


There is a tang to the tempeh, that occurs because of the fermentation, but don't let that set you back. Roasting, stir-frying or sautéing in a just about any sauce will mellow it out. I've also used it in stews, like vegan shepherds pie filling where it melds perfectly.


Today I had it over brown and red rice blend with collard greens (I have been on a huge collards kick lately. Maybe my body is craving all the vitamin A? 308% of your RDA in one cup! That's crazy!)



Try the Tempeh tempo now and again and see how versatile and flavorful it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment