Privacy Policy

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Sum It Up Sunday-Market Wanderer

My natural inclination for wandering markets, grocery stores and anywhere food is sold is the result of nurture, not nature. I've mentioned that my mom brought only two of us six Clarke kids with her when shopping; that somewhat-alone time with her back then now makes me feel at home and comforted whenever I find myself meandering down an aisle of a Mexican market in Denver or wending my way through piles of vegetables in a pavilion in Siem Reap Cambodia.


Wherever I am in the world, I automatically seek out the places where food is sold. Sometimes, like taking a walk in the Üsküdar neighborhood of the Asian side of Istanbul, I'll stumble right into what I didn't think I was looking for, a farmer's market with cabbages the size of soccer balls!


The variety and chance to try new foods is why I encourage you to seek out ethnic and farmer's markets where you are. My new pal Jazzy opened my eyes to the fact that there is a Chinatown in Las Vegas. Who knew? Jazzy knew!

Tea, rice and noodle varieties, inexpensive soy sauce and sesame oil are what get me into Asian markets, and then I find myself trying new vegan "meats" or frozen dumplings and being very pleasantly surprised.

Mexican markets are the best place I have found for corn husks for tamales, avocados, nopales (cactus for salads) and my arch nemesis, pastries (I'm looking at you, Tres Leches cake!).


When I was working on an Idli recipe for my cookbook, a proprietor of an Indian market showed me that the vegetables I needed for the dal to serve with the bread, including the hard to find curry leaves, are all in a frozen mixed vegetable medley. Perfect! There are also spices aplenty to be found.


This very afternoon I am headed with friends to Aurora, south of Denver, to wander through an Afghan bakery, HMart (a gigantic Korean grocery) and a middle eastern market. With, of course a stop at an Armenian restaurant, you know, as one does...

No comments:

Post a Comment