Privacy Policy

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Food for Thought

Almost two years ago I was a little over halfway through my Around the World Journey. News reports and posts from friends showed a US that wasn't the hospitable place I thought it was when I left. 
The world was so welcoming that I wrote a letter to My American Friends and shared it on Facebook.

February 26, 2016
Dear American Friends
Yesterday, here in a tiny village outside Asilah Morocco, I went for a walk. Along the way, we met up with a group of hijab dressed Muslim women. They were on their way to comfort friends who had a death in the family. They hailed us with "As-Salaam-Alaikum," the Arabic greeting  meaning "Peace be unto you." One woman even gently took my fellow volunteer's hand, smiled sweetly and wished us well.
There are two mosques within sight distance. Their calls to Prayer echo against one another through the valley. Atop the minaret of one a family of storks is nesting and raising their young.
This, my friends, is the Muslim world.
So far on my journey, I have been to 13 countries. Six of them were predominantly Muslim, while 3 have a minority of Muslim adherents.
I've met peaceful smiles, nods, and hospitality wherever I've been. The number one question I'm asked? " How are you? Are you warm/cold/hungry?"
I am not religious or spiritual. I'm restless, ever questioning and questing.
There are radicals the world over who push forth anger, hatred, and subjugation of equal rights in the name of their "religion". 

I believe that it isn't a religion we should be united against. Instead, we should be showing peace and acceptance to those who greet us with the same. "As-Salaam-Alaikum" 

The podcast was, in part, begun to carry this conversation on. We can respect one another, be hospitable and all find room at the table.

Join us.


No comments:

Post a Comment