Privacy Policy

Friday, April 29, 2016

Writing of France

"Write the best story you can and write it as straight as you can."-Hemingway
I've decided to begin writing (again, anew, ressurecting my deeply felt passion) and my time in France aided my decision.
Two weeks cat-sitting in the quiet city of La Roche-Sur Yon gave me time to mull it over, plan and brainstorm. The blog here will keep me on track, but once I'm home I can sit down at my laptop and pour it all out.
La Roche-Sur Yon is on the westen edge of France, a short train ride to the Bay of Biscay. Some runs, some reading and ruminating on writing on rainy days filled my time there.
A quick trip through Toulouse followed. I really like the vibe of the city. Diverse population, lots of fresh markets and gorgeous historical architecture, put it on my list of possible places to land.
I diverted to Andorra for a week, which I wrote about here.
Paris beckoned me next. Somewhat because of the food but I must confess something many of you will think sacrilege. French food bores me. " Sacre bleu!" you exclaim, but let me explain. For 15 years I worked and taught at a cooking school in Boulder CO, where French techniques were the basis of the curriculum. I've eaten more creme brulee than most of you can count. I'm over it. I partook of this and that, but I was no gourmand.

What drew me to Paris though, was the writing. Hemingway, Hugo and Balzac are but 3 of the authors who's writings have fed my literary Paris fire.
74 Rue du Cardinal Lemoine, where Ernest and his first wife Hadley squirreled away in the attic their first few months of marriage.
Shakespeare & Co. where Hemingway, James Joyce, Ford Maddox Ford and Ezra Pound found a patron in owner Sylvia Beach. It's literally across the street from...
Notre-Dame Cathedral! Famously playing a part in Victor Hugo's "Hunchback of Notre-Dame.
The Victor Hugo museum, complete with a Rodin bust...of course...
The Balzac museum, where he toiled away on 30 cups of coffee a day! And yet another Rodin bust.
Every corner in Paris reveals delights. The Metro and Velib city bikes make it easily accessible and affordable to explore.


One day, when I have more time and money, I'll explore more.
I'm in Bari Italy now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment