Privacy Policy

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Kale Chips and Oatmeal Bars

I know, I know, weird combination.  But I had the oven going and some wonderful Local Kale, so I figured I'd get two things baked off in no time. My friend Michelle gave me some suggestions on the Kale chips, so thank you to her.
I am not a baker.  There are members of my family who can whip up baked goods with their eyes closed and their hands tied behind their back.  I do not have that DNA.  But I can make bars, and I really like to make them before I go on a big hike or trek in the mountains because they travel well, are full of energy and taste awesome. The Oatmeal Bars are a total rip off of ones I have tried at a certain local bakery.  I've made my own substitutions, and please feel free to do the same.


Oatmeal Bars
Makes 1 9x9inch pan

Ingredients:
1/4 cup         Coconut Oil, melted
1 1/2 cup      Peanut or Almond Butter
1 each           Ripe Banana
2 cups          Quick Oats
1/4 cup         Sesame Seeds or Hemp Seeds
1/2 cup         Cashews or Almonds, chopped
2 TBS           Ground Flax Seed
1/2 cup          Dried Cranberries
2/3 cup          Dark Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup          Coconut Flakes, unsweetened

Method:
Preheat oven to 350°
Pour the hot melted coconut oil over the peanut or almond butter in a large mixing bowl.  Mix together with the banana until softened.
Add the oats, seeds and nuts.  Mix thoroughly.  Mix in the rest of the ingredients. If the mixture seems a bit loose add some hot water to make it softer and come together more.
Pour into a 9x9 inch pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove, cool and cut into bars.

Kale Chips
Makes approximately 3 cups

Ingredients:
1 bunch    Kale
¼ cup      Olive Oil
               Salt
               Pepper

Method:
Preheat oven to 350°
Strip the kale leaves off the stem and break into pieces.  Pour the olive oil over the kale and massage into the leaves.  Season gently with the salt and pepper as it is easy to over do it.
Pour onto a sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.  If you like your chips super crispy turn off the oven and leave the pan in there for 5 more minutes.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment